Monday, November 16, 2009

No Words

Because sometimes it's hard to find the words, I thought I would show you some of my experiences through pictures.
Here are some of my favorites that I've taken in the last few weeks. There are more to come and I also have several albums on my facebook if you're interested. Enjoy.


Bongeziwe Mabandla poses for a photo before he goes on stage at House of Nsako. His music is a mixture of African folk, world, and soul but his Xhosa lyrics seem to strike a chord with even non-speakers.


Chris Wilson and Mothusi Thusi jump against a graffiti wall at a school in Melville. The school paid for local artists to paint it and some of the messages read "Stay in School". The artists were arrested while painting because the police didn't believe them when they said they were hired to do it.


Students in Mpumalanga province pose for the camera while playing soccer during one of their breaks from class.


A Grade One learner who is learning to read in her mother-tongue language takes a break from reading for her teacher.

This child stayed and stared at me through the window for almost all of my visit.

1 comment:

  1. Em,

    Great pics! Thanks for sharing--it really helps us to live vicariously.

    Love, Claire

    ReplyDelete