Monday, July 20, 2009

Response

I was going to just write a response after the comments, but instead I'll just write a short post...

Thank you all for the sweet notes. It means so much to me that someone out there is reading these people's stories. I'm working on the pictures.. I actually haven't taken many because it isn't safe to take my camera in public. I'm finally over the fear of taking my computer out.. don't worry the camera will be next. I am terribly sorry that I have no pictures of Lindi and her family. Next time I visit I will definitely take some. Lindi's husband (to my surprise) lives with the family. My other host mother in Soweto, (her name is Tshidi) who lives with her 9 year-old daughter, is no longer married to her husband. She lives with Kabo and her older daughter in the small house. There was recently an article in the Times (kind of like the South African version of the New York Times) about the increase of families raised by single mothers. This is definitely the case. For the most part, the mothers take care of the families and the fathers work in the city.

Eric, who I described in the last two posts is our "guide" who has been taking us around and working out the homestays. He is from the Shangaan tribe, which is (as I mentioned) one of the darkest tribes in South Africa. During apartheid they were massively discriminated against by other blacks. They were seen as inferior because of their dark complexion-- a result of living further north than the other tribes. They are also incredibly open-hearted and welcoming-- perhaps because they have received such additional discrimination.

I am done with orientation now, except for going to the apartheid museum. We haven't completely found time for this yet because it takes about four hours. I'm still trying to prepare myself emotionally to see it.

For everyone who was wondering, I chose the second organization called Molteno and start work on Wednesday. Hopefully I will still have thoughtful things to share. It's kind of intimidating knowing that I'm going to be working 40 hours a week. So wish me luck! I love and miss all of you.
Em

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Emily! It is always so great to hear from you. I'm sure you will have many more stories to tell after you start your work, because you have such an eye for seeing them and the heart for telling them.
    Sending you much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Em,

    One of these days I'm going to figure out how to repond w/o being "anonymous" (We need to befriend a 13 yo up here).

    Thanks for filling in the missing pieces during your last entry.

    I can see why you are reluctant to take out your big, expensive camera. I'm sure that when the time is right and when you feel safe that you will do so. Although pictures would definitely be an added benefit, your stories/entries are so visually descriptive--it oftentimes seems like we can "see" what you are describing....However, I would love to see a pic of the mama and baby giraffe---maybe on your next safari?

    I think that you will have no difficulties finding material to share with us in your blog. Just think about all the new places and people you will be seeing and meeting in the next 6 months. And if for some reason you don't....just remember Seinfeld had 10+ incredible seasons writing "about nothing."

    Love you,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em,
    I'm sure you will be respectful with your camera. Some people believe that if their picture is taken, their soul is taken too. You may want to get guidance from the folks you're working for.
    How did people celebrate Nelson Mandela's birthday on the 18th? Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Beautiful!
    You get to travel all over! That's awesome! Although you won't be working directly with the kids, you're still working for them. And, if I know you, you'll find a way to tell their life changing stories. Joe comes up this weekend to move my stuff out. Then, the next weekend, I'm gone. You've meant so much to me for the past three years. Too bad we can't have a good-bye Gillett Saturday morning breakfast. I've always admired your genuine care for other individuals and sweet disposition. Your courage in South Africa is admirable and I miss you terribly.

    love always,
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily:
    Sheryl and I have been following your exploytes as you post them. Please continue to use your good common sense when you are out and about. Despite what others may say, remember you are a long way from home and in a radically different curlture.
    Having said that, I am sure that you will have a wonderful life experience. Make the best of it.
    Love
    Sheryl & Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.molteno.co.za/ eh--looks rewarding enough, and with forty hours I expect to read or, rather, vicariously see what their website doesn't present to the public. So don't forget to keep updating to both your commenting readers and your quieter readers, like me --

    -- Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope 'expect' isn't too strong a word... I merely meant to imply I'm looking forward to it--sincerely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, now I'm engaged. I got caught up on all of your posts, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the awesome stuff you see and report on. And, please, continue to blow my mind with your writing!

    Tony

    ReplyDelete